Benefits and Advantages of Stainless Steel 304 FlangesDecember 18, 2019
Stainless Steel is known to be the most versatile grade from tubing, to cutlery, to appliances, stainless steel is used in many different applications because it has many advantageous properties.
Stainless steel’s chromium and nickel component–which comprises a minimum of 18 percent Cr and 8 percent Ni of the overall material–gives it this beneficial property. When exposed to oxygen, the chromium forms a thin, invisible passivation layer on the surface of the steel. It’s impervious to water and air, and it also reforms quickly if scratched, making stainless steel pipe, fittings, and flanges excellent choices
Here are a handful of those properties that make it an excellent choice for flanges.
- Stain and Corrosion Resistant – Stainless Steel 304 Flanges are excellent in a wide range of atmospheric environments and many corrosive media. It is resistant to pitting and crevice corrosion in warm chloride environments, and resistant to stress corrosion cracking below 60 degrees C (approximate). SS 304 Flanges are resistant to potable water up to approximately 200 mg/L chlorides at ambient temperatures
- Value – When you use 304 stainless steel flanges, you are buying a durable product that will last your project for decades. It is a reliable material that is easy to maintain and install. Stainless steel is low-maintenance, and due to its corrosion-resistant properties, it is unlikely they will need to be replaced for decades.
- Strength and Versatility – Different materials such as nickel, molybdenum, or nitrogen can be added to stainless steel to enhance its corrosion-resistant properties. ASTM A182 Flanges can handle extreme temperatures and has higher strength at elevated temperatures so is often used for structural and pressure-containing applications at temperatures above 500 degrees C up to about 800 degrees C (approximate).
- Appearance –Stainless Steel Flange is an excellent choice for commercial establishments as the material has a naturally shiny and elegant look.
- Environment-friendly – Stainless steel is not a petroleum product. In fact, it doesn’t need to be coated or lined with any materials at all, unlike other materials. When you need to replace or dispose of stainless steel flanges, it is 100 percent recyclable, reducing the environmental impact. As much as 50 percent of all new stainless steel that is produced in the United States is made from recycled scrap metal.
- Applications- Thanks to its versatility and durability, stainless steel is known for being a “miracle metal” that is used for countless commercial and industrial applications like Food processing equipment, particularly in beer brewing, milk processing & winemaking, kitchen benches, sinks, troughs, equipment and appliances, heat exchangers, etc.